Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Photography Love


My new hobby for the past year has been photography. I've always wanted to take a photography class when I was younger but never got the chance. I was given a DSLR camera for my birthday and enrolled myself in the photography classes at Samy's Camera- and I LOVED every minute of it.

Now you will rarely catch me without my DSLR camera...my husband sometimes gets annoyed at me when I stop every 5 minutes to take a photo of something- especially when it's of some yummy meal he's about to dig into but has to wait, fork suspended in mid-air, for me to make the perfect composition.

On my days off, I usually venture out on my own to find something to shoot and to practice my new- learned skills. Well, I'm no longer alone in my hobby! Just 2 weeks ago, I enrolled in a film photography class at the Armory Center and I convinced the hubby to join me and guess what? He loves it! We've already been out together to shoot photos, strolling the streets and alley ways for anything interesting to photograph.

We bought a Canon Ae-1 camera from Amazon.com and obtained another for free from a co-worker! It's been fun learning how to use the camera and I just love the sound the camera makes when the shutter release is pressed. It's also a little weird having to wait to develop the film in order to see what we captured but it's almost fun waiting- especially in a time where we're so use to expecting everything STAT.

Neither of us have ever owned a film camera before so we made a few embarrassing rookie mistakes. Here are some tips for you in case you decide to shoot film:

1) Don't forget to load the film- I shot 36 photos before realizing that there wasn't any film inside the camera
2) Learn to rewind the film correctly- I accidentally opened up the camera before rewinding all the way, therefore losing almost my whole roll of photos
3) Make sure there isn't film already loaded- I popped open the camera to find the film already loaded, therefore ruining the film (again)
4) Know which rolls of film were used and which ones are unused- for awhile I had a hard time telling if I used a roll of film or not. I then realized that new film has a lead sticking out so I had to make sure to rewind the lead all the way back in after using a roll.
5) Remember to set the ISO to match the speed of your film

Lastly, remember it's not digital! I kept staring at the back of my camera after every shot, expecting to see a digital image pop up.

Here are a few photos from my first roll of film- I didn't figure out how the light meter worked until more than half way through the film so some of my exposure was off- and my focusing definitely needs more work. Hopefully my next roll will be better!






Have you recently started a new hobby? And if so, did you make some funny rookie mistakes?


No comments: